Monday, October 10, 2011

Why I Still Believe

Several times in my life I have sat down and considered what I really believe. This happened to me again recently.

Coming into the fall, I came to the realization that my oldest son, Renyck was about to enter his last year of high school. That means he may leave home next year and not come back. I wasn't ready for the dialogue that happened in my head over this. Had I done everything I could to prepare him for life? Had I been a good example? When I wasn't a good example was it so much that I will need to pay for his counselling later?

There are seasons in your life that hit you more significantly than others ...and this was (is) one of them. It has become one of those "boarder crossing" moments.

You know what I mean? Like when you're crossing the boarder into the USA. They ask you the standard questions - that are actually echoes of the BIG questions of life.

When did you come from?
What do you do for a living?
Where are you going?

Now, at the boarder, they aren't looking for the answer to the BIG philosophical questions, but the questions are the same.

Where are you from (ie. how did all this start - is there a God)? What do you do (ie. what is your purpose, why are you on the planet)? Where are you going (ie. like after this life is over - is there an afterlife - if so, where will you be)?

And so, for me, I had to wonder if I had communicated these thoughts and beliefs in a way that made sense, but more importantly, had affected the way I lived in such a way that Renyck knew I believed it (and he would believe it too).

When was the last time you thought of the BIG questions and why you still believe?


No comments: