Monday, March 11, 2013

God is Great, Beer is Good, People are Crazy



My whole life can be defined by music. I can take you back to almost any season in my life and tell you what song was significant for me at that time. Three summers ago the song was "God is Great, Beer is Good, People are Crazy" (that wasn't a good season). 

I suppose I should explain a bit. My name is Brian Beattie and I am a music junky. I am a husband, a father, a leader, a business man, a Pastor and a music junky. For the record, I'm not writing to advocate for alcohol or against crazy people - but FOR music.

Lately, I have spent a lot of time with my boys and their band called Incentive. I find myself living out some of my teenage dreams vicariously through them as I drive them from gig to gig. These guys are incredibly talented and will make far more of their music than i ever did. 

Let's go back 50 years.

Jeff Foxworthy says you may be a Red-neck if the directions to your house includes the words "turn off the paved road". Now, I wouldn't define my family as red-necks, but people who have visited our family home have made the case for how perhaps we were. We definitely lived "off the paved road".

As the youngest kid in a family of 7, we were raised on heavy doses of country music. I mean heavy doses. Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton, Loretta Lynn and Tom T Hall. Even today I may not be able to remember someone's name that I met yesterday, but I can't forget words to obscure old songs like "A Boy named Sue" or "The Year that Clayton Delaney Died". I used to spend countless hours sitting beside my parents record player learning the words to these songs and learning how to play acoustic and bass guitar along with them.

My teenage years we filled with the music of Andre Crouche. I had never heard "Christian Music" before, but the guy who picked us up for the church youth group I had joined, played an old eight-track of Andre Crouch and the Disciples - Live from Carnegie Hall  every week. Songs like, "Jesus is the Answer"and "He looked Beyond My Faults (and saw my needs)" still have powerful, emotional connection for me.

In my late teen years, a friend and I memorized an entire album of The Statler Brothers and dreamed of becoming singers and travelling the world.

Then, there was that one summer during my Bible College training where a buddy and I worked as lumber-jacks in Northern Ontario to help his brother-in-law plant a church. I still laugh when I tell the story of how I was threatened with death from drunken lumberjack (true story!). Music help me get through that summer alive.

Through the years I have gained an appreciation for many different styles of music, all having a significant part both in my past and in my present.

So, why am I telling you all this? Why do you want to hear my trip down memory lane?

Let me make a couple quick and easy applications.

Some reading this article are wondering if you will ever be free of the emotional or relational struggle you feel bound by. Let's face it, life gets crazy sometimes. I remember talking to my sister when she was in the midst of a challenging time in her life where we shared our mutual admiration for a Tim McGraw song that was current at the time called, "Live Like you were Dying". It became (and still is) a source of inspiration for both of us.

Others are wondering when God is going to answer that prayer that you have brought to Him more times than you care to remember. To you I submit the words of The Gaither Vocal Band song, Give Up:
"Now if you got burden's too hard to bear
Oh, and if your load is more than your share
Kneel, kneel down, talk to Jesus because I, I know and I know He cares
And He'll, He'll make a way, make a way for us somehow."

Whatever you are facing, try this, find the truth in a song that has brought meaning and purpose into your life and allow the words come alive for you again. I don't care if it's country, gospel, rock, classical or Zamphir and his pan flute - there is something powerful about music that can remarkably change the course of a day. Here's a hint for you that works for me - I have found the greater the challenge, greater the need for increased volume.

So, don't let circumstances or bumps along the road of life steal your passion. Turn up the radio, crank up your Ipod and join in on a song that elevates you above whatever is trying to hold you down. And, if you need a help finding a song, you can sing along with me about how God is Great (with or without the beer and the crazy people).

No comments: